honestbeef Chilli Con Carne
- 1kg minced beef
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 440g can peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small green capsicum, chopped
- 2 x 440g cans red kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons oil
Heat oil in a large pot or pan. Add onion & garlic, fry gently until onion is soft.
Add beef and cook, stirring often, until meat is browned.
Add tomatoes & their liquid & remaining ingredients except for chopped capsicum & beans. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
Simmer gently, covered, for 15 minutes. Add capsicum, drained beans & a little bean liquid if needed. Stir well.
Recover & simmer gently for a further 30 minutes.
Serve hot with rice or a green salad.